Swimming :D
Swimming is going great so far! My first practice I went easy because I could still feel my shoulder protesting. We warm up for five minutes every day, do dryland, and then get in and do the practice he gives us. I love my Coach so much! He is very reasonable, and uses a white board to write the set on so we don't have to memorize it in our heads. And every saturday practice he brings doughnuts! Also, we have a goggle toss every saturday morning and if you throw your goggles onto the backstroke flags, you get to skip practice for that day! The next practice my arm didn't hurt at all. I guess it was just over worked. Coach complemented me on how well I kick (it was a kick set) because I was keeping up with John Fox, the Demi-god on our team.
I have learned here that if you just start talking to a person, in no time (in their eyes) they are your friend. Most people anyways hahaha of course there are always those few that are just weird and you don't click with them.
On Thursday, I went on the PR/B club's field trip. This stands for Public Relations/ Business. I had to join it as one of the requirements of my Mass Communications class. I must say I am glad he made that one of the requirements because there is no way I can see myself pleasantly running a radio station for two hours like my friend alex does. Everyone would hate my music hahaha.
The field trip was amazing though! We first visited the PR business Carmichael Lynch Spong. Its a mouthful but the most amazing workplace ever. The place is like cubicles, but it hardly felt like it at all. Everything was designed amazingly, your eyes never got bored, it looked modern and new and fun! They had random stuff in there that didn't seem so random at all. Like a swing, and a car! They also had a mini theatre for presentations and parties. There was a rooftop that was simply amazing, and had a fake cool looking watertower on top. It also resides over the new baseball park that was built, kind of like the Western Metal Supply Co. building at Petco Park. It was breathtaking.
Better than the building though were the people. They were fun to listen to, they looked like they had fun at their jobs, and they told us they would never leave if they could help it. It looked like an amazing work environment. Of course, being PR people, I was a little hesitant whether this work environment was real or not. Because when your job is all about creating a great image, they could have just been faking lol. They gave us free soda and warm chocolate chip cookies :d
After that we walked around to the radio station WCCO. On the way, I saw a great amount of the city (Minneapolis,) and it is a very pretty city. It doesn't look as dirty as downtown San Diego does. The radio station wasn't as nice as CLS, but it was just as cool. Waiting for us was soda and about 12 pizza boxes. I was in heaven. I even tried this cool pizza they had, that was chicken and ranch instead of tomato sauce. Very good!
We got to see people talk over the radio, and we got to learn all about the new devices coming out (HD Radio, PPD, etc...) It was a lot of fun. They kept calling Radio "Theatre of the Mind." Apparently it is acting, but all in your voice/head. The only thing I did not like about this station is that I learned how Illusionistic all radio stations are now. Most radio stations are all automated. You could be listening to a station in San Diego, and it could be transmitted from New York. They would make it sound like it was in San Diego, like give the weather there, but its still in New York! And calling in to request a song is not allowed anymore. They have to play an automated list and sometimes there are stations that are totally run by computers! It is kind of sad :(
Anyways, I'm writing a paper on electronic books. From what I've read, electronic books are not going to be popular too near in time. I give it minimum ten years, if not more. They just arent that popular. Like one person put it, "why buy a simulation of a book when you can buy a book itself for cheap?"
Goodnight!
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Food of all kinds
Labels:
Carmichael Lynch Spong,
E Books Radio,
PR/B club,
Public Relations,
Swimming,
WCCO
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i'm glad u're having so much fun swimming. :D that makes me really happy.
what is a goggle toss though?
it sounds like you are really liking the Midwest. that's good!
The thing you described about American friendship has confused many people. In most countries, it takes a while for people to become friends. They start out distant, and must spend a lot of time together to become happy and close. On the inverse, Americans start out happy, because we are friendly to pretty much anyone. But we are not really close. I hesitate to say we only act close, but with Americans, the more you spend time with them, the harder and harder it is to become close. The opposite occurs with most other countries, see?
I wish I could demonstrate this, so I'll take a picture of the graphs I have describing this. It is all very interesting, because Americans come off as fake, when really we have many acquaintances and then a few friends, whereas they have a few friends and then many acquaintances.
it's all about culture, baby. you can't fight it.
<3 ariell
Hey Neil:
Sounds like a 'cool' field trip. It would be great to work in a really state-of-the art place, especially if the people are not cut throat to each other. Minneapolis was portrayed in a couple of TV shows a (long) while back -- the Mary Tyler Moore show. She worked for a TV station. It made Minneapolis seem like a really neat place to live. Maybe it was true.
Love you!
Neil: Glad you had fun on the field trip. It was a pleasure hosting you. I was one of the people who spoke to you about social media. And it's not an image- we really do like our jobs. How could we not? We get free pop. :)
Have a great week.
Post a Comment