Ok so well I've been getting a lot of crap because I do not know how to read music. It isn't my fault really, and I blame my old piano teacher because she gave me such an easy opportunity to cheat and write the letters in pencil. Well, let me tell you singing off of music is helluva lot harder than just making tiny pings on a piano.
And so, yesterday when I tried to sing my part (which had back and forth singing with dialogue, which is way hard,) the Director Judy stopped the whole rehearsal and told me that they couldn't go on without me getting it. She then told Jan that I would probably have to do that everyday until the opening night of the show. Yay, an insult!
Jan whispered to me that it wasn't my fault, it's just that this piece was really hard. I have to both agree and disagree with her. My part is hard, but also I've never done this before. I really like Jan though, because shes always unappreciated around here and Judy sometimes yells at Jan when she doesn't deserve it.
So after I practiced for a bit with her, I went in front of everyone and got it! It surprised me even! It's so weird to me because I havent been doing it my whole life like swimming. The whole time I just wanted to sink and disappear in a vat of water. Seriously!
But Now I have the right friends in theatre, after many botched attempts beforehand. Whew. I really feel like I have a permanent foothold here, and it's not going away. The fact that Judy was insulting me, and then had a look of surprise on her face when I got it, means that maybe she will recast me again next year.
Tomorrow I have my oral interp of Horton Hears a Who. I am totally ready. I just have to figure out which pages I am going to read. It is awesome though, because I gave Horton a slow, low voice, the kangaroos Australian Voices, and the eagle some sort of Russian voice. I also have my interview for the RA job. talk about busy!
AND! AND! AND! we started doing portraits in art class!! ahhhh! I'm so excited because I was waiting for this day to come! yahooooo! I love drawing people's faces! Here is the one we did today! We had to choose between a couple sculptures that she had set out, and I chose this one (am trying to get the picture up now). It is supposed to be a 3/4ths view. And I know his forehead looks pretty big, but that's how the sculpture was.

Neil

1 comment:
Neil,
I am SO HAPPY to hear that you are singing well and are 'in' with the theater crowd. In my (decidely limited) experience, it's a fun group -- but there will be drama off stage too... How can there not be??!
If it makes you feel any better, at least some of the Beatles could not read music either...
Good luck too with the ballroom dance -- isn't that coming up soon?
Love you, Meems
Post a Comment