Thursday, October 15, 2009

We.no.nah Factory

Today, as a fieldtrip for my World of Materials class, I got to go the the We.no.nah Canoe and Kayak factory!!!!!! I actually remember using their boats and thinking what a weird and funky name. And when I found out Saint Mary's was in Winona, MN, I thought about the boats, but I thought it was just a coincidence! I had no clue they were one and the same!

It was so cool to see. They use a type of cloth, like Kevlar, and cut it in the shape that they need. They then mold it too the plastic. After that, they put them in a giant ass furnace that rotates from side to side. It looks like a giant ride at a carnival, only it would melt your bones if you got too close. Then the boats shrink when taken out of the heat, and settle into their final shape. I wore my kayaking sprint team trials shirt, and asked the guy there (he was the VP of the whole company, and was really cool!) if they still make flatwater sprinting kayaks, because to my dismay I didn't see any. He said they unfortunately stopped making them because it was too competitive or something like that. He said the last boat they made were the wingtipped Eagle boats, and I totally remember Nick and Ryan using them!

Its so weird that I used to use there boats, and I somehow ended up in their birthplace!

That's all for now,

Looking forward to the weekend!,

Neil

No comments: